Complex Cases. Simple Solutions.
Privacy Law and Technology
Charney Lawyers has extensive experience in privacy breach litigation. We are consistently retained to advance class actions for major privacy breaches. In this relatively new and developing area of the law, lawyers must be well versed in the latest information technologies associated with privacy breaches and be creative in adapting existing legal principles to our 21st century Internet based economy.
At Charney, we litigate privacy breach class actions on behalf of millions of Canadians against the biggest technology companies, the Government of Canada, banks/financial services and the telecommunications industry. We do so by developing sophisticated registration systems to communicate with class members and by working closely with top level technologists, cyber breach analysts and senior members of the privacy standards industry.
Charney Lawyers is class counsel on precedent setting cases which have been instrumental in developing the law of privacy in the context of class action litigation.
For more information about our privacy and technology practice, please view our practice area summary here.
Our experience includes:
- Institutional and/or governmental errors leading to exposure of financial and health information or membership in a confidential program
- Cyber-attacks which can lead to criminal identity theft/credential stuffing/exposed personal information or health information on the Internet
- Unlawful data collection, profiling, and commercialisation
- Malware schemes
- Violations of online privacy and E-commerce
- Unlawful monitoring of wireless communications and location trafficking
- Medical records confidentiality
- Behavioral targeting
- Cloud computing breaches (mass storage of information on the Internet)
- Public exposure of images through biometrics or covert monitoring
- Spam email schemes