Caleb Edwards is a senior associate at Charney Lawyers. Caleb has a wide-ranging commercial litigation practice, with significant experience in defending securities class actions and white-collar charges, and responding to internal investigations. Caleb also has experience with condominium-related litigation.
Caleb has represented directors, officers, and corporations in both Canada and the United States in class actions, general commercial disputes, insolvency-related litigation, and regulatory proceedings. Caleb has represented condominium corporations and owners in a variety of matters.
Caleb began his legal career in New York City, where he represented clients in district, bankruptcy, and various State courts. Before joining Charney Lawyers, Caleb worked at a Bay Street firm in Toronto, representing clients in a wide variety of matters.
Caleb is actively involved in the legal community and while practicing in New York, provided pro bono representation for illegal immigrants, tenants, criminal defendants, and welfare recipients. In Toronto, Caleb is a member of the board of the Ralph Thornton Community Centre.
- 2014 - Called to the Ontario Bar
- 2010 - Called to the Southern District of New York Bar
- 2009 - New York Bar
- 2009 - Columbia University, New York, J.D.
- 2008 - University College, London, LLM (with distinction)
- 2005 - University of Toronto, B.A. (Honours)
Recent Notable Cases
- Represented a major Canadian corporation in a long running commercial dispute over a breach of contract claim. The matter involved managing large productions and numerous witnesses.
- Represented the former CEO of an international resources firm in the largest hearing ever held before the Ontario Securities Commission as well as in a related class action.
- Represented the directors and officers of a major American investment bank in class actions arising out of the collapse of the mortgage-backed securities market.
- Represented the unsecured creditors of a major American department store in a suit alleging fraudulent transfer of assets, resulting in a settlement of over US$150 million.
- Represented a significant government contractor in the conduct of an internal investigation into allegations of corruption against an officer of the company and related litigation.
- Represented a large retailer in several matters dealing with insolvencies of suppliers.
- Represented a lender in connection with a large and complicated insolvency, dealing with transfer of assets and legal rights through a negotiated and litigated process.
- Represented several condominium corporations in their response to a large competition bureau investigation.
- Represented a condominium corporation in a major arbitrated dispute with a neighbouring condominium corporation.
- Represented condominium corporations through numerous disputes with developers and unit owners.